Let me start by saying that I haven’t always been a fan of all black. In my 30 years, I’ve tried out so many colourful, wacky trends including: bright tweed jackets, wacky rainbow footwear and glittery nail polish with different designs on each finger. After reaching a certain point of in my life, I began to rethink my personal style and brand.
I couldn’t help but consider the style icons I looked up to as a young woman. Of course, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy is tops (she also snagged the ultimate bachelor and my first crush, JFK Jr). CBK aside, I have also admired not only the style but grace and demeanors of Princess Diana, Jackie Kennedy Onassis and Grace Kelly.
As modern woman of the 21st century, I decided to refine my day to day style based on the classics. Here’s why I decided on an all-black wardrobe:
- Very Little Room for Error – Let me make this as simple as possible: Black pants go with black tops. Don’t forget the black shoes and black sunglasses. Optional: Red or Nude lips.
- Consistency and Reliability – We live and work in competitive world and your brand is everything. Dressing in all black communicates to others that you are an individual who is disciplined, concise and collected. You are worth the risk.
- Illusion of Composure – Wearing all black makes it look like we all know how to dress stylishly with ease. Black is slimming, powerful and edgy. Coco Chanel once famously said “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”
- Empower Yourself – Dressing in all black will allow you to take yourself more seriously. Naturally, those around you will follow suit and start inviting you to close door meetings. Trust me on this one– it WORKS!
- Be Creative and Own It – The trendiest styles always come in all black. Make it your own with a peplum top, fur coat, fringes, graphic tee or chunky belt (but just don’t wear all 5 together. Ok, promise?)